This is where the institute exhibits snakes, lizards, spiders and scorpions. This exhibition is located in one of the institute’s historical buildings, where Butantan started to put together this collection soon after its foundation, in 1912.
This building was originally used as stables where horses were innoculated for antivenom production. Now it is a museum focusing on animal diversity and protection.
The Museum, which was inaugurated in 2002 aims at encouraging interest in science and increasing people’s familiarity with the world of microorganisms.
Its collection presents a historical timeline of the discoveries in the area. Microscopes help visitors view bacteria, fungi and protozoa. Models make it easier to understand what viruses are. A wing in the exhibition portraits the world of microbes for the children.
Its objective is to preserve, research and disseminate the history of the Instituto Butantan. Its building might have been the site of the first laboratory used by Vital Brazil, the director of the institute, at its foundation in 1901.
The collection presents objects that show how research was carried out and how antivenom and vaccines were produced during the first decades of the institute
The institute is the home of a family of Rhesus monkeys. It is thanks to this species that the Rh blood factor was identified. The group is cared for according to ethical principles and safety rules for the well-being of animals.
This park, where the monkeys can be observed freely, is open for visitation.
Vital Brazil Building
Best known as the Library Building or Central Building, it was named the “Vital Brazil Building” in 2014, when it commemorated its 100th anniversary.
The site has already housed a museum and various laboratories. Today, after being remodelled, it houses the Library, the Central Archives and labs.
Center for Scientific Dissemination
These two barns, built in the 1920s was used as a forage shelter for animals as well as to house different mechanic’s and blacksmith’s workshops.
Now restored, they house the Center for Scientific Dissemination (CDC), which hosts exhibitions, lectures and courses.
Afrânio do Amaral’s Home
This house, built in 1930 and 1931, is listed as a national heritage site and was the home of the researcher Afrânio do Amaral, who served twice as director of the Instituto Butantan.
Today, the building is used for meetings and events, and as a support area to several sectors of the institute.
Home to the first Genetics Laboratory in the country, conceived in the 1960s by Willy Beçak, researcher and director of the Instituto Butantan from 1983 to 1991.
The building also housed the Laboratory of Bacteriology. It was designed in an Art Deco style, which was fashionable in São Paulo in the 1930s.
Lemos Monteiro Pavilion
Inaugurated in 1920, the building was then called the “Experimental Laboratory.”
The current name pays homage to José Lemos Monteiro, a researcher with the institute who, while doing research on a vaccine against typhus, was infected by ticks, causing his death by Rocky Mountain Spotted fever in 1935.
The home of Vital Brazil
This was Butantan ́s original farmhouse that probably dates back to the end of the 19th century.
In its first days, it served as the director’s residence. Now, it is occupied by labs and some sectors of the Cultural and Scientific Outreach Division.